The track through the Devils Staircase is one of the most popular hiking and jeep tracks in the hills of Sri Lanka. The difficulty levels and the spectacular view of the green mountains of Sri Lanka has made this a hikers paradise but only the most ardent hikers will undertake this 15 km hike.
Generally hikers choose the Bambarakanda Rest near Bambarakanda Ella Falls as the starting point to the journey if they wish to start the journey from this end. This trail goes over old dilapidated estate roads through many estates. This trail ends on the Ohiya – Horton Plains road around the halfway distance from Ohiya Railway Station to the Horton Plains Entrance.
There are no markers along the route, therefore it’s advised to use a guide if attempting the journey for the first time. The route has number of folks and they could easily divert you from the original path. The trail is 15 km long from Bambarakanda and would take approximately 7 hours to complete the hike.
The two most popular points on the route is the “V cut”, a channel cut through the hill to allow the road to pass through. You will come across this after entering the Udaveriya estate.
Passing this, the road will go across a stream which creates the tallest fall in the country, the Bambarakanda Falls.
Arrival time will be 7.30 A.M at the Bambarakanda trail head
Brief description of the route and the hike
Starting the hike at 7.45 A.M.
Rest stops within every 1.5 K.M.
Reaching Ohiya by 5.30 P.M
- Children 4 Years +11 months and younger are complimentary when accompanied by a paying adult.
- All children must be accompanied by an adult.
- This activity is subject to cancellation based on inclement weather. Activity can be rescheduled or the payment could be refunded.
- Within 24 hours prior to the scheduled starting time: 100% Cancellation Fee.
- No Shows – 100% Cancellation Fee.