This 14 K.M trail starts from the Pattipola railway station (Which is the highest railway station in Sri Lanka) and continues up to the border of Horton Plains National Park. In between this trail you will come across one special tunnel on the railway. This tunnel is the third longest (321.95m) of Sri Lanka and also the highest tunnel in the country. The tunnel is narrowed one and therefore middle point becomes very dark. The tunnel is made in 1919 and had been repaired several times.
North side of the tunnel is directed to Uva Province, Badulla District and Welimada division. And Southern end of the tunnel is directed into Central province, Nuwara Eliya district and Pattipola division, also Uva province and Welimada region subjected to the dry zone and other end is subjected to the wet zone of Sri Lanka. When you trek through this tunnel from one end to the other, you can experience this.
Once you finish the 7 KM rail treks you have to do a 2 KM hike (This will be an extreme hike through the jungle) and another 5 KM trekking to border of Horton Plains.
Arrival time will be 7.30 A.M at the Pattipola railway station
Brief description of the route and the hike
Starting the hike at 7.45 A.M.
Rest stops within every 1.5 K.M.
Reaching Ohiya railway station (E.T) by at least 1.00 P.M
Climbing the trail from Ohiya towards Horton Palins
Reaching the Horton plains border by 5.00 P.M
- Children 4 Years +11 months and younger are complimentary when accompanied by a paying adult.
- All children must be accompanied by an adult.
- This activity is subject to cancellation based on inclement weather. Activity can be rescheduled or the payment could be refunded.
- Within 24 hours prior to the scheduled starting time: 100% Cancellation Fee.
- No Shows – 100% Cancellation Fee.