Heeloya is a rural, remote agricultural village in the Kandy district with a unique attraction of understanding how justice was meted out in the good old days. The proceedings of hearing a case by the village-headman and the location are still intact.
The main livelihood of the village community is paddy cultivation, home gardening, livestock and spices. Villagers engage in toddy tapping, handicrafts, bee-keeping, traditional dances etc., as supplementary income sources.
A very traditional village, it is unique in that it identifies itself with practicing even to this day some of the local customs in daily life. Tourists are encouraged to work and become part of the village life by engaging in plucking fruits and vegetables for a meal to be prepared according to the local taste. They would also get an opportunity to watch some of the other aspects of this village being the Heeloya waterfall, local species and herbs.
Visitors to Heeloya can get a feel of the life in a typical village in addition to trekking and sightseeing and a culinary experience in true Sri Lankan style! We offer these tours as half day or full day excursions.
Arrival time will be 7.30 A.M at the trail head near Heeloya Village
Brief description of the route and the trekking
Starting the trekking at 8.00 A.M.
Exploring the Sri Lankan Village lifestyle with activities
Trekking will be ending up from the base of the Knuckles range by 1.30 P.M.
- Children 4 Years +11 months and younger are complimentary when accompanied by a paying adult.
- All children must be accompanied by an adult.
- This activity is subject to cancellation based on inclement weather. Activity can be rescheduled or the payment could be refunded.
- Within 24 hours prior to the scheduled starting time: 100% Cancellation Fee.
- No Shows – 100% Cancellation Fee.